Sunday, September 7, 2008

Updates, Mr. and Mrs. Suburban (+1) and other musings...


We are finally getting settled into the new place; in fact, we hosted our first FULL DAY of events on Saturday: breakfast in the morning with a friend visiting from Michigan and a dinner party in the evening.

Jon gets his mise-en-place together for dinner.

"Kid People" -vs- "Dog People"

figure 1: A peaceful, community park. Site of Trouble!

Near the end of our street is a park, The Kalama Valley Public Park. As a family, we've been walking to this park in the evenings, usually after dinner, to get some air and play on the park equipment. After a couple of nights, we started to see the same people up there: parents, our age, with kids around FLH's age, standing around watching the kids, talking about things that suburban parents talk about. Our natural personalities taking over, we've quickly become a part of the little clique of parents and kids. It's all very quaint and perfect.

However, there is this other group of people that meet at park, at the same time of night. They are the "Dog People". No Kids. No Strollers (they don't have time for that...). Nope, only dogs. Most of them NOT ON A LEASH. This is a major problem with kids around (see figure 1).

Now, let's set the record straight about a couple of things: 1) we like dogs and 2) we like people with dogs. However, there is an understood "no fly zone" near the playground equipment. Tonight, there was a incursion into our area.

Arriving at the park, we realized immediately that we were flying alone: there were none of our little group around. We cautiously approached the playground equipment and established ourselves. Dad took point, FLH hit the grass to play, Mom perched on the slide to view things from above. Suddenly, the dogs struck!

Figure 2: Terriers as fast as lightning, approach FLH.

Racing inches off the ground, and nearly at the speed of light, two little terriers broke off their flight plan of catching frisbees and tennis balls and thundered toward FLH's position: ostensibly to sniff butt. Andrea quickly stood up from her spot and settled near Frank Landon to ward off the interlopers. But, here's where it gets interesting: a couple of snarky comments from the dog owners ("What, does she think they're going to eat the baby?") made it clear that a full-on invasion was underway: THIS WAS WAR!

Therefore, upon our next meeting of "Kid People" (and when Andrea, Landon and I have not only the guns but numbers to stand up to this aggression) a counter-strike was established (see figure 3). Our "broad front" strategy employs the use of family-friendly activities to divide the "Dog Area" zone of control. We are going to allow them to keep a small, but dignified "pooping area". However, we will wrest majority control of the park from them.

Figure 3: "The Plan"; we take control of the park, Jets and Sharks Style. Oh, yes, there will be snapping!

The dingos will not eat my baby; however, the terriers might.

FLH is adjusting well to his new environs. He really starting to motor around the house and is now attempting to stand on his own:


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am laughing so hard! What a funny post! I love little peeps - I cannot believe how he is crawling and standing up.

Anonymous said...

I miss him sooooooo much, he is really at a fun age.He is growing up so fast and get cuter each day. Thank you for the glimpse into your lives. Glad to see Landon is growing more hair. Kansas agrees keep the dogs at bay. Hugs and kisses to all. ps. love the kitchen.

The Tynes Family said...

I just can't stop laughing at the diagrams!!

Anonymous said...

I won't be surprised if FLH is walking by the time we get there. Your place looks so nice and everyone looks right at home. Can't wait to see you all.

Anonymous said...

Jon - you are freaking hilarious. Kiss Baby Frank for me!!

Anonymous said...

Jon, I think you missed your calling. You should write for a living! What a great story! I bet you are loving the big kitchen. I can only imagine what kind of cooking you will come up with now! Landon is such a stinker. But a cute one at that. I can't beleive he is standing up. He'll be walking before you know it. Love to all of you! Hope to see you soon!

Anonymous said...

P.S. The previous comments were from me! You think I would learn how to use this blog!