Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Shark Attack!





I recently was able to do one of the coolest things I've done yet in Hawaii, The North Shore Shark Dive! It was so amazing! You drive up to the North Shore early in the morning, and a boat takes you about 3 miles out. You hop in a cage and throw on a mask and snorkel, and marvel at all of the sharks. There are about 30 around you and they occasionally throw some sashimi in the water so you can watch the feeding frenzy. The sharks were about 6-10 feet long and weighed 300-400 pounds. I have to admit I was a little nervous before I got in; all I could think of was the Mythbusters episode where they proved that if a shark really wanted to, they could get through the cage. However once I got in, I was entranced. I tried to take some shots with an underwater camera, but we'll see how they turn out. When you are under water, you can hear the whales and dolphins talking to each other and see some other colorful fish. The sun coming up over the mountains, the whale sightings and fresh air really make this an awesome experience. I would highly recommend it for any of our future visitors.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous!! I always wanted to do that. I bet it is sweet!! Did you ever watch David Beckham play down there?! I hope everyone is feeling better down there in the HI!! I miss all 3 of you. I am still waiting to meet my new nephew!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! That looked very scarry to me! Don't know how you did it! Glad you got to experience swimming with the sharks. Something you couldn't do here in cold Kansas.
I hope Landon is feeling better. Hugs and kisses to you all.

Anonymous said...

Girl, you are crazy! I wish I had an ounce of your bravery. I can't even swim in a lake without the fear of water creatures...let alone swim with sharks. What a cool experience! Not many people can say they have done that!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are Nutts! But it must've been super cool! The closest thing I would do is watch that kind of stuff on TV! Can't wait to see the pictures...Aloha from Vegas, the Nutts :)