In our effort to fully exert ourselves, Andrea and I have started training for The Great Aloha Run (or, otherwise known as: GAR) in February. The Great Aloha Run is approximately 8 miles, starts at Aloha Tower (in downtown Honolulu - and across the street from our house) and goes to Aloha Stadium.
We started our 9 week training this morning at 7:20am with a brisk 3.5 mile run/walk. We have joined a training team (approximately 80 people were in the session this morning). The team is divided into smaller, conditioning groups. For instance, our group has about 15 people.
We started with stretching, and then set pace - walk for three minutes, run for 1 minute. Each week, we up our walk/run ratio (so, next week it will be walk 2 minutes, run 1 minute...and so on.) During the week, we have training sessions on Tues and Thurs for 45 minutes. (following the same routine - 3min walk / 1min run).
Our run started at Kapiolani Park, wound up the back side of Diamond Head Crater and back. Without a doubt, the end of the run was the best: upon instruction from the team lead, we dove into the Pacific at Waikiki Beach (in Kapiolani Park). Standing in the cool ocean water was the best remedy for the hot/tired muscles.
For those wondering about the baby: our little boy will be joining compliments of the Baby Bjorn. Although I won't be running with the little guy - I will be able to carry him and walk. Andrea and I agreed to trade off week to week. So, the newest member of the family will be also participating in the GAR.
Wish us luck!
Sunday, December 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Jon, I know that your heart is in the right place but I'm not sure it's wise to take a 1 month old baby on an 8 mile fun run! Let's see what the rest of the family says..
Dad
First of all:
1.) It's not a fun-run; it's a charity event and something that Andrea and I care about.
2.) When the actual run happens, the baby will be 2 1/2 to three months old.
3.) We're not running WITH the baby, we're going to walk the 8 miles (baby in the BJORN).
Post a Comment